Search engine optimization, abbreviated as SEO, is a compilation of techniques and methods, the purpose of which is to ensure that your web site will be properly placed on the web and be visited by more people every day. It is one thing to have site visitors, but the more important task is to convert those visits into leads and business ventures.
Search engine optimization is an internet marketing strategy that considers several things to ensure that its user can have the most out of this technique. SEO takes into consideration how search engine works, as well as what people actually search for and which search engine they prefer.
So how can you maximize your search engine optimization? You should know what search engines are looking for. Your content should be relevant to what the users are looking for. Relevance focuses on four things:
- Content – which includes the theme, the text and the description given
- Performance- which focuses on the reliability and functionality of a web site. Is it fast? Does the site work properly?
- Authority – refers to how your web site is viewed by others. Are other users citing your work as reference for their works?
- User experience – is it easy to navigate around your page? Is it safe? Is it user-friendly?
Aside from knowing what search engines are looking for we should also know and avoid what they are not looking for. Search engines avoid the following, so should you.
- Keyword stuffing –the overuse of words in a given page.
- Doorway pages – acting as a door to another site. When a user searches for an item, the search robots throw your site on their list, but when the user opens your link, you redirect them to the real site, which is after they are counted as a visit for you.
- Content duplication – repeating the same block of content on the same page or posting the same content on another site.
One way to help you improve your ranking is a constant upload of fresh contents and contents that appeal to human interest. Your content should be well-written, good and unique. You want to make sure that people will go back and refer to your content rather than have one look at it and delete you from the list of possible resources.
Optimization is not just about working on one platform alone. You should practice consistency by using keyword phrases not just on your site, but your Twitter, Face book, LinkedIn and email accounts as well.
Consistency is not just about consistently using the word on your content, but also applies to domain names. It is preferable to buy old domain names, but do make sure that the previous owner has no shady past. To maximize SEO include your keyword in your URL or domain name. A strawberry farm can use www.strawberryfarm.com as its domain name. This will ensure that when one searches for a strawberry farm the list will include this domain name in the results list.
Another means to maximize SEO is through link building. However, it is important to remember that in link building it is not about quantity, but all about quality. A single, great and concise link is far better than several, poorly written and of poor quality links. Do not overdo it and start a link farm. A link farm is defined as a group of web sites, where each site contains hyperlinks of all the sites within the group. Sometimes, lists included in the link are not related to one another therefore making the site unruly, unorganized and definitely something you would not want to come back to any time soon.